Have you ever blown up a balloon only to have it burst? Pressure keeps building, then it pops…
When you think of the word “pressure”, you usually think of life and all of the responsibilities, expectations and deadlines that go along with it.
Pressure is real and all of us are in the heat of the battle every day.
Most of the time it isn’t just one big thing, but a combination of several small things. We usually don’t have a giant bolder on our shoulders, but rather a pile of rocks.
We can all think of things (even at this moment) that need our immediate attention. We seem to always be behind schedule and running at a frantic pace to keep up. The pressure keeps mounting and becomes so excessive that you know you need to do something before you blow a gasket, lose your mind, have an emotional breakdown or lose your temper and say some pretty hurtful things to someone that you love.
The best way to keep yourself from bursting like a balloon is to release the pressure slowly. Here are a few tips:
1. Write down all the things that are pressing you down.
Dump it out of your brain and on to a piece of paper.
2. Look over the list and see what you can delegate or just let go.
*You will begin to feel a release!
3. Determine what are your top three priorities?
After you identify them, make the decision needed to complete the task. When you delay important decisions, stress levels are high. When you complete your top 3, your stress level will dramatically decrease.
4. Take some time to relax. Read a book, go for a walk, take a nap…you will see the results of this immediately.
5. Examine how you got this way in the first place. Make sure you don’t fall in the same trap again.